Summer Playlist

Here are some songs I have been loving lately, especially while cruising on the lake or riding down the highway with my windows down.  Mostly new stuff, but with a couple of recent-but-older ones thrown into the mix.  Download all of these!  Pay for your music!  Otherwise it's stealing.

His "Take Me to Church" is a huge hit--and I love it--but this one by Hozier really speaks to me.




A great summer sound from The Black Keys.  "Fever". The video makes me have flashbacks to my childhood.




I'd listen to these two sing the phone book. It's even better when they're singing a song written by Brandi Carlie and the Twins.  The Secret Sisters doing "Rattle My Bones". 




Speaking of Brandi Carlile, the tree in the video for "Dreams" looks so much like the one on the cover of ELI THE GOOD, which I was able to give to Brandi in person, although I about passed out.




Best pop song of the summer goes to Sam Smith and "Stay With Me".




First Aid Kit's "Cedar Lane".  Another pair I could listen to all day.  I love how elegiac this song is.  Summer makes me feel that way often.  




Good ole Ray LaMontagne always delievers. I'm especially loving "Supernova".




And we have to have some Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings to brighten our summer.  Here they are with "Stranger to My Happiness".




Ireland's The Strypes are pretty great.  If only American teenagers were screaming for this kind of music.  Here's "Blue Collar Jane".  




I never tire of Tori.  "Trouble's Lament".




Passenger. "Heart's On Fire".  Great singalong.



This one is a few years old but every playlist needs a little Teddy Thompson.  "In My Arms" is him at his summery best. 




Lee Ann Womack is one of the best country singers ever.  She has a new album coming out soon and here's the first single from it.  "The Way I'm Livin'".  Real Country Music.  




Nikki Lane shakes everything up.  Is she country?  Is she rock?  I don't know.  But she's a lot of fun.  Here she is with "I Don't Care".




My daughters introduce me to a lot of great music.  Here's one of the groups they turned me onto, Lucius, doing "Don't Just Sit There".




This is Houndmouth.  I like them a lot.




The new Mavis Staples album is great.  This is my favorite song from it.  




I first met the Avett Brothers in 2001 when they were just starting out and they opened for me at a bookstore in Asheville, North Carolina.  I've loved them more and more ever since.  I think "Morning Song" is one of their all-time best.  




Diane Birch is sooooo good.  "Speak a Little Louder".




I think Nicki Bluhm is one of the most underrated artists out there.  Buy her album. Every song is great.  Here's one of the best ones, "Hey Stranger".




If you haven't gotten on the Valerie June bandwagon yet then climb on up.  "One My Way" is one of her most laid back, chilled out ones, perfect for summertime listening.




"Blue Ridge Mountain" is a really sweet song from Hurray for the Riffraff that is perfect for driving...especially in the mountains.




Oh, one more from Hozier.  He's my favorite right now, so why not?




No summer playlist is complete without at least one great version of "Summertime".  There are so many, but I especially love the way Doc Watson sings (and plays) this one.




There is so much good music out there just waiting to be heard.  I hope you found some here.


Comments

ngcummins said…
Amazing playlist. Thanks, Silas.

Popular posts from this blog

What I Read This Year

Favorite Books (Today)

Books of 2016